Nikon's 5 year plan...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 837
Like?
Re: Nikon's 5 year plan...
In reply to kelvin2345, 6 months ago

kelvin2345 wrote:

I agree with the financial post article.

Would you have predicted RIM to get in such sticky situation 5 years ago, when nearly every single ibankers were using the Blackberries?

Would you have predicted Nokia being acquired before the debut of the iPhone? When every other smartphones are either manufactured by Nokia or Sony.

Would you have predicted Samsung to dominate the smartphone market 5 years ago? When Android was not released yet?

And do you remember Kodak? The company that INVENTED the digital camera and dominated the whole film industry?

So why is it not possible for Nikon to go out of business in 5 years?

What are the recent breakthroughs of Nikon? I mean breakthroughs, not incremental upgrades of sensors megapixels. I dont think they will be around in the next 5 years if they keep on doing what they have been doing.

Absolutely - and all of the failures listed here have one thing in common & that is the company in question failed to understand or adapt to how people used the device. Blackberry couldn't grasp the concept of apps, Nokia couldn't grasp the concept of a "smartphone", and Kodak relied on reputation.

At this juncture Nikon's single biggest issue is they have no idea how devices get used. It's quite apparent they lack even the most basic understanding of electronic media & content consumption. No Wifi, no NFC, & new to GPS tells me they just "don't get it".

Sony introduces a new camera that has both NFC & WiFi, Nikon is rumored to introduce a camera that can't even do video. WTF? This is a huge hint Nikon simply doesn't understand how media is used or how content is consumed. It would seem Nikon has no idea things like Facebook or Youtube exist.

Nikon is in the most vulnerable position. If Canon got out of the camera business entirely they might survive, same can be said for the like of Fuji. Sony is so diverse they can quit much larger markets like TV and survive. Nikon? Nope, that would be the end of them.

Nikon can continue to follow the dinosaurs who ramble on about "this is the way we did 'er back in 19-ought-and 5" and they'll follow them to extinction.

Don't get me wrong - I like Nikon, been using their products for a long time (quit Canon during the lens mount dustup - ) but I'll go with the devices that meet my needs & if that's not Nikon so be it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow