ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
Tale of two X100s
6 months ago

X100s vs X100 Black Limited Edition

Well, not two X100s, but a silver X100s I borrowed from a friend and a black X100 Limited Edition.

Every since the release of fw 2.0 for the X100, I've been having GAS.  While looking for a used X100, I found someone having fire sales of brand new X100 LE's for around US$830.  Naturally, I took it.

The X100 LE's EXIF tells me the lens is made in Feb 2012, so no SAB problem.  Serial number starts with 21P.

I did some comparisons and here is what I found:

- X100 AF is very good with fw 2.0.  X100s PDAF is only faster if it can find some strong vertical contrast.  But I found that in some cases, PDAF actually hampers AF speed as I found the X100s making a full stroke of the AF mechanism while the X100 found the focus without the full stoke movement.  I think Fuji definitely needs some refinement on the PDAF algorithm.  I don't know whether the Phase Detection sensors are horizontal contrast sensitive or vertical contrast sensitive or a combination that spreads across the PDAF area.   Suffice to say, they're definitely not cross-type sensor.

- Focus peaking seems a little different.  X100 shows a stronger highlight even when both cameras have the same settings.  So I found focus peaking a little easier to use on the X100.

- CDAF with both X100 and X100s are not as good as XE-1, which I also have.  XE-1's latest fw allows horizontal contrast detection.  X100 and X100s cannot AF on anything with this type of contrast.  Hence XE-1's AF feels more sure footed on a wide variety of subjects.

- X-Trans definitely has the edge in resolution and noise, even the X100 has only 12MP.  No contest there.  I think it is down to the user preference of X-Trans CFA vs Bayer CFA.  I've no problem with X-Trans CFA with Iridient Developer.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow