Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,069Gear list
Like?
Re: Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?
In reply to turnstyle, 9 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

Thanks Sean -- I'm really grateful for these tips from you, verybiglebowski, Henry, and everybody.

It's a huge amount of info to process, perhaps especially for somebody who came to NEX from point-and-shoot rather than from DSLR.

Here's the one thing I'd love a better understanding of -- most people seem to say rangefinder lenses longer than 35mm should "just work" on NEX -- but other folks say (for example) the 50mm Lux doesn't work well (at least not on NEX7).

I had been thinking something like the Lux could possibly be perfect -- I mostly like to capture points of interest within a scene, rather than big scenes, and I like evening social shots. Lux was seeming like something I could enjoy forever.

Is there any way to better understand whether I should abandon the Lux idea?

Hold your hope.  I enjoy shooting 35Lux-ASPH with my M9.  Even when I turned off 6-bit coding, I see no magenta cast.  As I said in another post, the NEX-7 with 35Lux was not that bad until later firmwares.

I am waiting on the A7R for stills and videos (Sony's are good with videos), intend to adapt 35Lux and other M's. If we look at it, an A7R (with off-set microlens), with an M-adapter, should have a similar "architecture-mount-distance" as the M9, without 6-bit code.

The major difference is 36mp-CMOS vs 18mp-CCD (No experience, and not interested with M240).  Have you listened to people talking about post processing with 36mp Nikon D800/e? I know what it's like. I got a D800e to use my collection of old AIS's from the last 30 years.

Fingers cross.  Go, Sony A7R, go!  Keep the positivity!

Thanks for sticking with me!

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow