Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 3,360Gear list
Like?
Soft waterfall shots - ND filters - Adjusting Aperture
6 months ago

The last couple of days of my trip I've spent a fair amount of time trying to get the hang of the waterfalls with milky water. I bought a 10 stop ND filter for my Olympus 50-200 because the one I have for my FZ200 has served me well.

The last two days have been quite cloudy but even considering that I have found the 10 stop filter, in combination with my polarizer, to be too strong. I have had more success adjusting my Aperture all the way up to the maximum f22 for my E-M1 using the "low" ISO that is below 200.

I have read here that you shouldn't really go beyond F8. I am looking for thoughts on the affect of things like f22. I am trying to decide if I'd be better served with a 6 stop ND filter. Maybe I should take the polarizer off when I use it.

Or perhaps if I get a sunny day the ND 10 stop will be just right.

Please share your experiences. Quite a bit of trial and error has not yielded any definitive answers.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow