WFulton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607
Like?
Re: Speedlight
In reply to Nikoni, 11 months ago

Nikoni wrote:

NOTE: This was posted on open talk as well as D1-4, D600-800

Hi All,

I am an owner of D3s, I also own Nikon SB600 which I do not really like because it is basic (Not in any way I am pro or anything like that).

What I am planning to do in sell SB600 and buy 2 Yongnuo 565EX (Speed light) to do some studio (just family portraits).

Is this a good move as I believe this particular flash is quite advanced and has a good reputation (information from someone in a camera club I met once).

What do you think? Do you have experience with this particular speedlight? does it work will with D3s in TTL?

I look forward to hearing all your opinions

many thanks

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walidhassan/
Nikon D80, D300, D3s
18-135m,50 mm f1.8, 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150mm f2.8, Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S, Tamron 28-70 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8
SB600, Wireless Flash Trigger
slingshot 200 AW
Giotto tripod, Giotto ballhead
Manfrotto Monopod 680B
Cokin Filters
1.4TC

Off-camera manual flash can be triggered a few ways, but off-camera TTL requires use of a Commander.   Your D80 and D300 have a Commander (an internal flash mode), but the D3S does not (does not even have internal flash).   You could use the D300 as is, or you could add a hot shoe commander to the D3S - that best choice would be the Nikon SU-800 commander.

In this TTL mode, the SB-600 will do as much as the Yongnuo, you might keep it, and start with just one more flash for now (and a commander).

First thing though, just start playing with D300 and one SB-600 for a first look at the commander system, learn a little about the system.

See http://www.scantips.com/lights/awl.html for introduction to the Commander.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow