Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
Re: Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?
In reply to turnstyle, 9 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

Hi all,

What current manufacture lenses are considered the best fast, fully manual (not focus-by-wire, with aperture ring) 50mm primes, that work well when mounted on a NEX via e-mount adapter?

I don't care about the system the lens is built for, or mount type -- just the overall best performance from wide open down, and can be used fully manually.

It could be a rangefinder (though I do wonder if rangefinder and NEX are ever going to get along as well as they should) or it could be an SLR type lens, preferably around 300 grams (or less).

Thanks for any suggestions...

I put in a vote for the Contax G 45mm f/2.0. This lens is legendary, discontinued, and a bargain.

You can get auto-focus for this lens using the DEO AF adapter, which also has a (tiny) focus control ring which makes this lens very easy to focus manually.

Similar to this lens would be the Zeiss ZM Planar 50mm f/2.0 (which should work fine on both Nex and A7/r cameras). RF lenses wider than 35mm will not have any problems on digital sensors, only WA RF lenses have issues. I would hold of on test-reports that should be coming out soon, some of the 50mm were 'suspect' (e.g. the Zeiss ZM C Sonnar 50mm f/1.5).

Also consider the Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.4. This lens is budget friendly and very fast, and does not have the same curvature issue as the Nokton 35mm f/1.4.

Also don't rule out the E50/1.8 and the new FE55Z/1.8 - especially the ZE seems very nice in 'focus-by-wire' mode.

The cheapest lens of above list would be the E50, and it will impress you. It does come with AF and OSS.

An alternative would be the Sigma 60mm/f2.8, but this also has focus-by-wire.

Then, any legacy SLR lens will do, as the "nifty fifties" were plentiful, and every SLR manufacturer has one or two 'best' 50mm lenses out there. Consider this reportAdorable fifties

Contax G 45/2.0

Sony E50/1.8

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow