Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Antony John
Contributing MemberPosts: 989Gear list
Like?
Re: What will happen to Olympus now??
In reply to marike6, 9 months ago

marike6 wrote:

Antony John wrote:

Well let's see. Put together a few numerics trying to emulate one system against the other in terms of a (more or less) complete zoom setup of Oly m4/3 and Nikon FF:

Em-1 + 9-18 + 12-40 F2.8 + 75-300 Cost $3,800 Mass 1.455 Kg

D610 + 14-24 + 7-24-70 + 70-200 Cost $8,290 Mass 4.130 Kg

But using top of the line, pro-grade zooms is not a requirement with Nikon F-mount as there are tons and tons of high quality, inexpensive, and lightweight primes like the 28 f/1.8G, 50 f/1.4G, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, et al. And there are tons of reasonably priced Nikkor zooms (f/4 zooms like the 16-35 f/4, and 24-120 f/4 VR, used f/2.8 zooms 28-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8 ED, and variable aperture consumer zooms. And F-mount is one of the two most widely supported mount by third party manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Zeiss, et al.

You missed the point. I had said 'zoom setup'. Yes, there are far more permutations possible with different mass/price points.

For many different types of photography, landscape and macro for example, where you are shooting off of a tripod 90-95% of the time, camera weight and size is simply not an issue.

If you have your vehicle close at hand then getting the gear in and out of a vehicel is not that difficult a chore so in those circumstances, there's no problem with FF.

I don't think Olympus is going anywhere because they make great gear, but I also think the size and weight issue is way overhyped and exaggerated for many. It's not like a 1 lb. DSLR with a fast prime mounted is heavy for most adult men and women. And adding large max aperture pro-grade zooms into a comparison with mirrorless systems is a bit misleading considering not every photographer needs such such lenses and not all types of photography require them.

Mass is a major consideration if one is traveling by air (on-board weight allowance), hiking, bicycling etc.

I have a FF Nikon setup but even carrying my D600 with 70-200 F4 attached is not that easy a task to carry for a prolonged period.

I'm considering m4/3 for the times when I want to travel light because it makes sense to me - in other words a dual system, FF and m4/3. This is what a lot of pros seem to do as well.

As they say YMMV.

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow