When did Photography get taken over by Gadget Geeks?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
When did Photography get taken over by Gadget Geeks?
9 months ago

I've been thinking about this for a while and it seems from all the posts lately (for a long time now) the photo industry is no longer about the art and skills of photography but 95% about the latest gadget. Here is an example of posts:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52369920

Nothing wrong with it, right?

You can look at almost every post of every forum here and it's computer geeks talking, not photo enthusiasts. I get lost in it too. I hate it when I do.

Everything is about the latest specs. Instead of being satisfied with expanding our skills with what we have, we compare the sizes and specs of other things: sensors, evfs, lenses, battery life, card slots, color of the camera, etc. We change equipment so often, I may never learn what the camera can really do because I didn't expand my knowledge base just my equipment collection.

In the film age, would we have switched cameras or compared film like this? At least when film was being compared it was from the results of the prints instead of specifications.

I have to asked myself will the E-M1 give me better pictures than the E-M5 or will the Bride be happier that I used the 800d than the D3 when the prints are returned? The Camera manufacturers have be taken over by corporate tycoons and they figured out, "all we have to do is use computers that must be upgraded." The camera today is just a computer with a glass on the front. What computer geek doesn't want a "faster, better, etc." computer?

The artists are gone and the nerds have taken over and I think I'm in the second category, unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
Nikon D3 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow