Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034Gear list
Like?
Sorry, Sony - no more purchases for awhile
11 months ago

After building up my rig and a lot of fun with the NEX-7 since June this year, I've decided to return my newest purchase, the SEL1670Z. Sony's bomb drop last week of no more NEX and no future guidance on APS-C support had me going back and forth on what to do over the weekend as my return date deadline was approaching today. I really love the SEL1670Z but $1K was just too much to spend on a format that appears close to obsolete. My decision to return the new Zeiss was really tough and frankly I've lost sleep over it since the A7/A7r announcement. If full frame is where everything is going then I can save up and sell my current equipment without spending more on a losing proposition. Had I kept the SEL1670Z, it would have driven me nuts waiting to see what Sony decides to do. I could have kept it and sold it later but that's easier said than done. I already have the 16mm, UWA, Zeiss 24 1.8, Sigma 30mm 2.8 EX DN and 50mm 1.8, 55-210 as well as the kit. If Sony wants to go full frame and forget their APS-C customer base, that's fine but I can't contribute to their indecision or confusion.

BTW - In trying to make my decision, I replied to the A7/A7R Sony blog post questions. I decided to post a reply to a similar question from another customer asking Sony to provide a response to the uncertainty of APS-C future since the blog was closed to new questions. It was a polite post and sat there for about six hours until Sony deleted it. I don't think Sony is going to answer our APS-C questions any time soon. As someone else stated, it is common for a manufacturer NOT to hint at future products. However, it is not common to alienate a huge customer base as you are announcing a new product line. It really baffles me why they needed to make the statement of NEX=gone while announcing the A7/7R. It felt like "here it is and screw you if you don't like it". Wish I could take back all the great things I've said to friends, family and colleagues about Sony/NEX. What a shame. I'm sure many will say APS-C isn't dead for Sony but I have no proof of that today, my deadline to get the SEL1670Z back to B&H. It's just speculation.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HeckNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow