Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
Re: Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Sony does look very tempting. There are a lot of things that will likely be better with Sony than with my current X-E1:

1. Better (less luggy) EVF with better resolution

2. Tilting LCD

3. Faster focusing with native lenses, OSPDAF, AF during video

4. Better video

5. Better high ISO/noise performance (and I hope Sony wouldn’t overstate ISO settings the way Fuji does)

6. ISO 100 setting (hopefully native)

7. Most important: potential for shallower DOF with fast lenses

8. No problems with RAW converters decoding X-Trans

9. Potentially better resolution (a very minor point, 16 MP is more than enough for me)

10. It is already clear that A7 will have larger market presence than Fuji X system, creating interest for 3-rd party lens manufacturers (Tamron/Sigma). Hopefully more lens options.

11. Compatibility with existing NEX lenses. For instance, users already figured out that 10-18 mm lens covers decent part of A7 sensor between 12 and 16 mm! That’s huge!

12. It seems that Fuji has saboteurs in their user interface team which I hope do not work for Sony. Come on, no Exposure compensation in Manual regime with Auto ISO? Why the lens moves at all when I view images? Why don’t I immediately get a magnified view when touching focus ring? Why manual and auto-focus points stay separate? Wow, finally user selectable min shutter speed… which doesn't take into account the focal length. The list goes on… Come on Fuji, fire these guys already!

However, I’m not switching yet. Here’s why:

1. Sony used E-mount, to which an FF sensor fits very tightly. Tight fit --> no room for displacement --> no way they implement IBIS --> in-lens stabilization --> delay of the third party stabilized options. And native lenses announced are very expensive and slow.

2. Very few native lenses, and expensive and slow lenses at that. However, as ridiculous at $1000 for 55/1.8 lens sounds (in FF world one would expect $150-200 price tag for that), it’s still 55/1.8 lens (and I paid $900 for Zeiss 32/1.8 which is only equivalent to 48/2.7 on FF). Likewise, the kit 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 lens is quite similar to Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 (which is equivalent to 27-83 f/4.2—6).

3. It remains to be seen how well it works with legacy lenses (may be offset microlens array spoils performance there).

4. Remains to be seen how strong the AA filter on A7 is and whether it has resolution advantage at all (I’m not interested in 36 MP A7R)

5. Viewfinder hump

6. Viewfinder in the wrong place significantly compromising portability.

7. No built-in flash

8. Sony colors seem to be improving (out-of cam JPEGs) but I don’t believe they are as good as Fuji yet

9. The first generation product, may have very annoying quirks/defects. Let early adopters figure it out.

So I’ll wait for official reviews, user experience reports and may be third party lenses – and then switch. May be to the second generation of this product… Or stay with Fuji if it makes a FF sensor by then.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
VeryNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow