What will happen to Olympus now??

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,514
Like?
No, we live in the real world
In reply to sportyaccordy, 11 months ago

In the real world, that 'two stops advantage' is only really visible above ISO6400, maybe one stop at ISO3200. Below that, where most of us tend to shoot, there's no real visible difference between the two as concerns noise at the same ISO, so stopping down two stops is irrelevant when you're at ISO200, 400, 800, or 1600.

Don't take my word for it, go pull up the dpr comparameter and put the D800 up against the tiny little EM5. I won't say the EM5 is better than the D800 even though some parts of the DPR image tend to hint that it is, but if it's not as good, it's very close.

In the real world, we shoot telephoto, where FF needs a huge lens, or where one has to guess at the composure and crop later. There's still no substitute for seeing the final composition in the VF.

Yes, the larger sensor is still better - in some ways. However, the gap has closed in most ways since the days of the 5D, while the size difference and price difference and telephoto difference, especially with lenses, is still as great as it always was.

This is what you learn when you actually use the equipment, rather than read the spec sheet.

Given the practical facts of lens size, lens cost, lens availability, my best estimate is that most A7's will be used with NEX or Sigma glass in APS crop mode. The APS Zeiss 28 would probably work pretty well on the A7.

Which begs the question - why put a FF sensor on a small camera if lens size and lens cost make using the FF feature to its full advantage impractical? The FF sensor is starting to look more like a marketing gamble, than a practical advantage.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow