Fuji 50-230mm lens on X-E1/2

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,005Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji 50-230mm lens on X-E1/2
In reply to picnut, 9 months ago

The gain you make from 200 to 230 is nothing that will make a difference to save $300.

Even worse the long end at 230 is f 6.7 and the 55-200 is f 4.8. Essentially the 50-230 is a stop slower maybe a hair more. If you think focusing is bad for any reason with the 55-200 it will not be improved under the same conditions with the 50-230.

If saving $300 is the deal breaker than so be it, it is your money and photography.

The same idea with a Nikon or Canon lens where the manufacture has two zoom lenses very close to the same focal length with f stop range differences.

If I understand the new Fuji lenses are optimized for the XA and XM. I have to check but each lens has a different designation either XF (more costly) or XC (less expensive)

I have to check but when you have two lenses like this with a big price gap you have to look at lens construction so far as the groups and elements breakdown to see what justifies the cost difference. It is usually a ED or a extra element to help. Plus the f stop difference.

I would not sell my 50 - 200 except for a faster zoom without a variable aperture. I do not think the 50-230 is a step up from the 55-200 and with lenses the cost also speaks volumes.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow