What will happen to Olympus now??

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Investments and cameras
In reply to Andrewteee, 11 months ago

Andrewteee wrote:

What will happen to Olympus now? Any thought ? What would you pick if you were on the market today? What's the mirror-less camera you'll go for?

Several. Ricoh GR, Leica X Vario and now Olympus E-M1. Each fits a unique purpose. Overall, I prefer fixed-lens cameras, but as far as ILCs go I like the Olympus. It's weather-proof and has several good tele lenses available, and of course it is compact and light.

I would add the Fujifilm X cameras like the X-E2, and the Panasonic GX7, both excellent cameras with some very nice lenses available for their respective mounts.

FF lenses, unless they are highly software corrected, will be large and heavy.

This is simply not true. There are tons of primes like the Canikon 50 f/1.4 and f/1.8, Nikon 28 f/1.8G, Canon EF 40 2.8, Pentax DA primes not to mention a ton of consumer variable aperture zooms that are not heavy at all.

But since you brought up software correction, one of the unfortunate things about shooting mirrorless cameras (and I've own most of the major brands) is that often vendors like Panasonic, Olympus, Fujifilm use software correction and design lenses for smaller m43 and APS-C detectors, and still charge as much as FF lenses. Perhaps one reason some of the more niche camera systems have a hard time attracting huge numbers of regular, non hobbyist users is exceedingly high prices. With lenses designed for a smaller image circle so less glass and no need to optically correct for distortion and vignetting, and mirrorless vendors still frequently price lenses close to or over $1000 for primes and zooms. Not a good way to go from niche systems for well healed baby boomers to mainstream camera systems for the average user.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow