What will happen to Olympus now??

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Antony John
Contributing MemberPosts: 989Gear list
Like?
Re: What will happen to Olympus now??
In reply to ioshadha, 10 months ago

Well let's see. Put together a few numerics trying to emulate one system against the other in terms of a (more or less) complete zoom setup of Oly m4/3 and Nikon FF:

Em-1 + 9-18 + 12-40 F2.8 + 75-300 Cost $3,800 Mass 1.455 Kg

D610 + 14-24 + 7-24-70 + 70-200 Cost $8,290 Mass 4.130 Kg

I chose the D610 as being the lowest price and mass Nikon FF camera.

I'm not an Oly shooter so my choice of lenses might not be yours or even optimised for IQ - but I think they provide at least a comparison point.

Added to the Nikon FF kit one should also add chiropractor fees ;-). Camera mass is not that big a difference (500 vs 760 grams) but the mass and size of the FF camera lenses are the problem.

Hopefully the m4/3 sensors will improve over time to provide even better resolution, noise and DR - one would expect this as technology advances.

So, I guess Oly will eventually be able to provide IQ that is on a par with FF for most people's requirements other than those that require to print very large.

As the requirements are for a system, rather than for simply a camera, it would seem to be sensible to invest in the m4/3 system for the longer term if the mass and price constraints are of significance to you.

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow