FZ70 or Fuji HS50?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Vandyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, Oct 21, 2013

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Indeed, Vandyu, chromatic aberration problems were well documented re Fuji digital models of the past. It would be interesting to read/hear opinions from non biased Fuji fan-boys (or girls) whether CA/PF still affects current models sufficiently to warrant potential users being put off by such issues. Especially in this regard, it’s a shame that DPR (especially Simon Joinson ?) has failed to produce a HS50 review.

Not just HS50 but every HS since HS10 including X-S1. Either it's an agenda not to show how good those Fuji cameras are or they are just receiving more from Fuji competitors.

If it’s anything to go by, I have seen higher ISO Fuji shots posted in these forums that suggest CA remains an issue, but in the absence of an unbiased review, to what degree the problem exists is anyone’s guess. If there’s ever a reason for sticking with Panasonic, it has to be this manufacturer’s consistency in producing cameras not overly affected by CA/PF.

Hmmm PF was a problem before but not anymore. Take a look at this comparison against SX40

SX40 Left - HS50 Right

Problem is, if I pick up a HS50 and find low-ish light high ISO OOC Jpegs carry too much chroma noise or PF, I’m going to be rather annoyed that yet more post processing time will be required to make images look the way I like. Having been used to consistently good Jpegs from FZ’s, especially the 150, I’m not sure I could take to another brand that fails where Panasonic’s don’t. I’m now beginning to realise that such a switch could be a real gamble, mainly because unbiased opinions on the HS50 will be hard to come by.

Again, looking at this comparison, HS50 is no slouch in high ISO compared to SX50 which produces same if not better high ISO than FZ150/200.

And here compared to SX40

Anyway, it seems you may indeed have given up on your FZ20 a little early. Don’t get me wrong, I know exactly what you mean about the model’s viewfinder being too dark to use in dim light. Believe it or not though, I remember perfecting a method of taking shots of folks partying the night away, often in extremely dark venues where subjects were hard to see even with the naked eye let alone through a viewfinder or LCD screen. It’s at times like those that I realised how invaluable the infra red auto-focus assist light is on these machines, and that aiming and guessing correctly where subjects were positioned in the frame could be perfected almost to a fine art. So much so that I was often gobsmacked by the results achievable with the FZ20.

Something that always makes me smile, however, are those photographers who claim motor zooms are too slow for parties and functions, and that too many opportunities are missed where manual zooms would catch more. Complete nonsense!

If you have tried em side by side, you will know for sure that manual zoom DOES have advantage in framing the subject quickly. Motorized zoom works fine if the subject is predictable or can wait for few seconds.

If the photographer is on the ball, he or she will anticipate much of what is about to occur at a function by watching their subjects closely, and to the point that they’ll be ready for anything within their field of view. In my experience, nothing is more predictable than people and their habits, and many folks are even more predictable than others. It therefore almost doesn’t matter what type of camera one is carrying, just that it’s switched on and the appropriate finger is close to the shutter button and at the ready. Admittedly the FZ20 was slow to focus compared to modern FZs, but in truth I rarely missed a moment with that camera – and I shot countless images with the old 5mp machine. Surprisingly, although I did so purely for fun and has a hobby, word of mouth from many satisfied subjects brought in a few offers for me to shoot professionally, but for various reasons I declined before switching much more of my attention to wildlife. Alas though, regardless of what I shoot these days, I just don’t seem able to get out with my camera as often as I’d like to. Ah, such is life.

Anyway, when I get the chance, I’ll post a few of my FZ20 efforts for you to view, either here or in a separate thread. I’ll also gladly add a few samples I’ve recently shot with the more updated FZ200, as per your request.

Thanks again…

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow