Started Oct 21, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brendanE
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
A Fantastic Compact
Oct 21, 2013

I bought the XF1 as a Christmas present to myself after losing several Nikon Coolpix in a row. I consider myself a serious amateur, and I wanted a lightweight camera capable of being taken anywhere without weighing me down. I have been extremely impressed with this small but sturdy camera! The menus and buttons are straightforward and easy to understand and use, with just enough options to make the most of all conditions without being overwhelming. The lens gets an incredible range of angles and apertures, from wide landscapes to shallow macros full of bokeh. In terms of RAW image editing, one of my favorite aspects of digital photography, the Silkypix software gives a very nice array of filters and effects in addition to the standard, highly-tunable tools like curves adjustments and color temperature. While the JPEG images are quite nice, the RAWs are where this camera really shines. The one annoying aspect to the camera's design is that the image mode dial tends to get turned while in the process of holding down the focus/shutter button (this could be just the way I happen to hold it). The body of this camera feels very sturdy, and I carry it confidently in my bag while cycling. The vintage travel style with faux-leather grip also makes this one of the best looking cameras on the market.

brendanE's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow