XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?
In reply to Jim Evidon, 10 months ago

Jim Evidon wrote:

Like Zaax, I recommend the 35mm 1.4. My rational: like you I bought my X-Pro-1 with the 18-55 zoom. It is one great lens far above the usual kit lens quality. Since it covers 18 to 55 admirably, I saw no point to buying the 23, 27 or any other intermediate prime lenses since the zoom covers the range so well. I do have a use for a large aperture prime for low light and the 35 got such high marks by reviewers and forum users, that is what I bought. I never looked back. Great lens. Go for it.

Agree completely.  As good as the 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS is, it is still f/4 at the long end.  So many handheld situations in interesting light will mean higher ISO settings are necessary.  And while DOF control with the 18-55 is better than most kit lenses, for shallow DOF photography or FF style subject-to-background isolation a large aperture prime is the way to go.

And most kits should probably have at least one large aperture 35mm or 50mm lens.  And for X-mount the 35 f/1.4 is pretty much a no-brainer since it's optically excellent, is considerably less expensive than the 23 f/1.4, and for people on tight budgets, it can even be found on auction sites for considerably less than new price.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow