bobn2 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

bluevellet wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

They are also substantially different in build.

How?

-- hide signature --

Bob

The E-M1 has more of a "pro" build. Shutter life is longer, weather proofing extensive, the whole camera can be dropped, it can be roughed up, take years of abuse.

How do you know all this? How many years of abuse has any E-M1 taken?

All within limits of course, but it's clearly targetting the pro segment with its build. Oly is also sending a message to resilient 43 DSLR users that the E-M1 is a suitable replacement to their E1/E3/E5 which were "built like tanks".

The A7(r) is more... fragile.

In what way is it more fragile?

It looks quite substantial to me

-- hide signature --

Bob

E-M1 build

As you can see. Quite a substantial difference. The A7 is somewhere around an EM-5 in terms of build.

I see no substantial difference there. What about them do you propose is 'substantially different'?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Wow. Are you blind.

No, I understand mechanical construction.

Here's the metal body components of the A7(r).

As you can see, in the case of the A7r, you get a metal subframe, topplate and front plate. In the case of the A7 you get a metal subframe and top plate. The rest of the body is plastic.

Seems to me the front panel is also metal on the A7r. When you look at the exploded diagram, there is a metal sensor carrier which screws on the sub fame. In both cameras the back panel is plastic. So, in both cameras the substantive 'chassis' is metal, the back cover is plastic. Without the evidence from some detailed strutural analysis, I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that one is stronger than the other.

What are you talking about. The EM-1 has a metal back. What pics are you looking at? The A7 is like the E-M5. The A7R is lower still.

I'm not sure why you find this so upsetting. It's not that uncommon. eg: APS-C 7D has a higher build spec than the FF 6D.

As I said. In terms of build, these are around the E-M5, or lower.

You have no information on the 'build', you're just making non-analytical assessments on the basis of some publicity photos. Sure, Olympus would like to promote the idea that the E-M1 is super tough, but just looking at pictures of metal castings tells you nothing.

Did you seriously expect a pro-level build FF mirrorless for that price?

What does 'pro-level build' mean? How much would it cost, and why? Is not 'pro level' mainly a marketing spin, and generally priced at much more than it costs the manufacturer.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow