XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,410Gear list
Like?
Re: XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?
In reply to Rob Donchez, 10 months ago

Rob Donchez wrote:

All great advice. I just assumed a fast prime would be a good compliment. Maybe the best thing I can do is shoot with the kit lens for a month or two and then evaluate my needs from there.

That is a great idea. If you are not sure what you want/need, take some time and a lot of shots. Then, go through your library and evaluate where most of your shots landed in the zoom range. That will give you an idea of what focal length you might get along with the most.

Also, keep track of the times you wish you could have had more subject isolation, or would have liked a little more shutter speed or a lower ISO. If those start to build up on you, a fast prime in the focal length you determined you use most may be the way to go. If these occasions are few and dar between, then perhaps you really don't need one and maybe you are better off with another zoom to extend your focal range one way or another.

Lastly, borrow one, or rent it. Shooting at large apertures may not mean much to you at all... Until you finally do it. Then you may find something you enjoy that you weren't previously aware of.

Most of all, have fun.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow