Started 11 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tommyTTL
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
It's just OK
11 months ago

I purchased this camera as a point and shoot alternative to my Canon SLR. I wanted a small camera with big zoom that could take sharp images and could record decent video. What sold me on it is the new Olympus 5-axis image stabilization.

The IS is instantly noticeable, and is by far the best advantage to this camera. Even at full zoom and/or in low light conditions the videos and images have little or no motion blurring compared to the slew of other point and shoot camera that I have owned.

Another neat feature is the high frame rate video that creates some awesome slow motion vids.

Touch screen is a bonus and menus are easy to navigate.

Camera body feels solid and fits in to my hand quite nicely.

My biggest disappointment is the softness of images from wide to telephoto. I suppose going from an SLR I had set the bar high. However, I expected more from a camera in this price range.

The sound of the lens zooming in and out in video playback is loud and annoying.

It is also unfortunate that no Aperture or Shutter Priority is included and no RAW image capability. But I suppose that is to be expected for cameras in this class.

Overall, the camera is a nice balance of photo and video capabilities. But, image sharpness falls too short for my taste.

I ended up trading it for an Olympus E-PM2 mirrorless SLR, and though the video is a bit lacking on it, I'm much happier with the image quality and more advanced features.

tommyTTL's gear list:tommyTTL's gear list
Olympus SH-50
tommyTTL's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow