XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?
In reply to Rob Donchez, 11 months ago

Rob Donchez wrote:

All great advice. I just assumed a fast prime would be a good compliment. Maybe the best thing I can do is shoot with the kit lens for a month or two and then evaluate my needs from there.

I remember a phrase from a book by photographer John Shaw who said "Never buy a new lens unless you can articulate exactly why you need it".  Makes sense.

That said, there is no way to make a mistake with the 35 f/1.4, it's such a good lens.  It's less expensive than the 23 f/1.4, it's extremely sharp, and it has the nice metal lens hood (one of my favorite parts of the X system).

But whether you buy the 35 f/1.4, the 23 f/1.4 or the 14 f/2.8 will depend on which focal lengths suit the kinds of subjects you shoot more.  The 55-200 could also be an option if you think you might need more reach than the kit lens can provide.  With the 55-200 you'd cover from 27 to 305 in two lenses.

But the large aperture primes are really, really nice. So no, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the primes.  Even the 18 f/2, which might not make a lot of sense for your first X mount prime, is extremely useful for street shooting or low-light work in tight spaces.

I'm waiting for my X-E1 / 18-55 kit for arrive tomorrow, and my most wanted lens is the 35 f/1.4. I've used it in the past, and it is truly an excellent lens, and as close to a no-brainer as you'll find.

Best of luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow