Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users Locked

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Re: And it will face the same Questions......
In reply to marike6, Oct 20, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

marike6 wrote:

The OP said that it should be of interest to m43 users because of some tenuous connection to an expensive Panasonic zooms. But other than that, nobody has explained why the RX10 should be of particular interest to m43. Best of luck.

In addition to Dheorl, I also provided an explaination. But you seemed intent on twisting what I said and now it appears you're ignoring the people who are giving you the explanations.

It looks to me like you're making the classic mistake of assuming that, because the camera holds no interest for you, it must therefore hold no interest for any other M43 user either. But it clearly does. You may be unable to fathom the reasons why, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

If you like the RX10 that's fine. I might like it, my neighbor might like it as well. But no matter who you look at it, it's not a camera that m43 users in particular should be interested in. In fact is pretty contrary to the entire concept of Micro 43.

It's large, heavy, and as expensive or more than the very top of the line m43 cameras. Have you noticed the most popular camera right now on DPR, the GM-1. Want to take a guess why m43 users are interested in it?

And no matter how much you want to rely on DxOMark as some sacred text of camera IQ, the RX10 does not have the IQ of the best m43 or APS-C camera. Low-light, high ISO performance should be somewhere between the Nikon 1 cameras and older 12 mp cameras m43 like the Panasonic GF1.

If your looking at high ISO performance than yes, in areas such as DR and colour reproduction however i think technology has moved on enough that it should be able to beat the GF1.

The lens, perhaps above 100mm, an f/2.8 max aperture on a 1" sensor will be sort of OK. Below 100mm an f/2.8 max aperture on the 1" sensor is not all that interesting. Would you buy the equivalent of a 50mm f/7.4 lens? Or the equivalent of an f/7.4 portrait lens, say an 85 f/7.4? I don't know any m43 users who are used to using some of the excellent fast m43 primes who would.

If that lens was 1/200th of the size of the one on the RX10 then yes, I might consider buying it. I like to at least be able to distinguish what the background is, even if it's still blurred to give a bit of pop.

(Oh, and BTW, I own the 25mm)

I'm not trying to be a camera snob, I'm really not. But for the last time, the Sony RX10 is almost the antithesis of a m43 camera. So again, nobody has made the case for why the RX10 should be interesting specially for m43 users.

Actually I have, multiple times, but people keep on ignoring it and I have no idea why, seems like a reasonable theory to me.

And no the almost bizarre theory about replacing the two Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8 zooms is not a valid reason why m43 users should want the RX10. How about just buying the 35-100 f/2.8 and a 20 f/1.7 which will work with all current and future m43 bodies as part of your system and cover 99% of the needs of the majority of m43 users? How about using much less expensive variable aperture zoom that goes out to 300mm or even 600mm?

Doesn't m43 have enough problems winning market share without users jumping ship for astronomically priced and ultimately inferior bridge cameras like the RX10?

Ultimately inferior in high ISO iq, seems quite superior in some areas though.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow