This thread is locked.
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
The RX100 is SMALL and good
In reply to Sean Nelson, 9 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

But the m43 system can't be tailored to exactly what i personally need. I need a weather sealed kit that goes from 24-200mm and doesn't make a huge dent in my backpack or hand luggage. The closest thing is the EM5 with the 2 panny zooms, and that takes up considerably more space than an RX10, and requires me changing lenses when I'm out in inclement weather, which not having to do would be great.

The fact is, Most folks need something that's slightly different, and for ANYTHING that's the least bit different, you can't change the RX10 to meet what is needed. Just about EVERYONE who shoots in inclement weather will occasionally need wider than 24mm, or longer than 200mm. Or faster than f2.8. If you NEVER do, then go ahead and buy the RX10.

The Sony RX100 is very successful, and it's an even more limited tradeoff. Not everyone needs or is willing to deal with / pay for the ultimate flexibility in a system. If they were, we'd probably all be using FF cameras because they have the best range of lens options available.

For an all-in-one package, the RX10 covers a pretty decent range with image quality closer to M43 than to the small-sensor cameras, and that combination hits a sweet spot for some users. That's no different than M43 hitting a sweet spot for others who want the flexibility that interchangeable lenses bring to the table.

The fact that the RX100 is good while being VERY small is why it succeeds. The RX10 is a HUGE camera for the size of it's sensor.

Most folks who own the RX100 bought it as a high quality camera that is pocketable, or can fit in a purse.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow