XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Cartwheels MD
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: XE-2 w/ 18-55m & Which Prime?
In reply to Rob Donchez, 9 months ago

What do you want to do?  I have seen really great portraiture work with the 60mm F/2.8 macro.  If you want to take good pictures in low light (I have personally never had a problem with low light, and the 18-55 is the only lens I own currently), get one of the fast primes they offer.  If you want to get into more telephoto work, you should ditch the prime idea and get the 55-200mm zoom.  If you just like primes, sell the 18-55 and get the 35mm and either the 14, 18, 23, or 27 (depends on the focal length you prefer) and then buy the 56 whenever that comes out.

The basic message is that the 18-55 is an fantastic lens, and the enhancement you will experience by purchasing any of the primes within that focal range will be minimal I think.  I have compared the images I get from my 18-55 vs the various prime lenses in the XF lineup, and there really is not much of an advantage to any of them.  There is a bit of barrel distortion at the extreme focal lengths, and the IQ is a bit soft viewed at 100%, but the barrel distortion is not noticeable in real-world usage and when viewed at a lower resolution, there is no difference in IQ for my eyes.

If you have anymore questions, just post.

Cartwheels MD's gear list:Cartwheels MD's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Apple Aperture
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow