ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andreas Lemson
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Fujifilm X-A1 or Sony NEX 5R/T
10 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking to get into the mirrorless market after years of using a DSLR. I've tried to do as much research as possible in the shape of various reviews and the forums here. As a result, I've narrowed the choice down to two systems.

Primarily I will be using the system for photographing kids in the family, handheld. Yes, they move quick, but from what I've read, mirrorless systems aren't really up to this task (well, certainly compared to a DSLR), but that's a drawback I'm willing to accept. They do sit still at times, so will have to be ready for those opportunities!

Here's what I'm looking at, and some points I've been considering:

* Sony NEX 5R/T with 50 1.8 and 35 1.8

What appeals to be about the NEX system is the OSS on the lenses. Most of my photo opportunities are in natural light, which can get low, so OSS would be very helpful in this regard. Reviews suggest both these lenses perform well.

The electronic first shutter curtain allows be to forget about issues like shutter shock, which is the main reason I ruled out the Micro Four Thirds system.

I do like the option of flash, as it's something I do use occasionally (and I would like to learn more about it). I don't like the idea of Sony's proprietary connector; the flash options for these cameras is very limited.

With the recent announcement of Sony's new full frame cameras, I'm not quite sure where this leaves the NEX system. That's obviously a concern.

* Fujifilm X-A1 with 35 1.4

This combo doesn't support any stabilisation but the focal length is shorter, so I don't know if i would benefit from it with the 35 1.4 (never used this focal length before, hence the uncertainty). Fuji appears to be good with firmware updates, improving overall performance, even with older cameras. Standard hot shoe is also a bonus too.

I've read about some shutter shock issues on the Fuji forums (though nowhere near as widespread as with Micro Four Thirds), so that is a concern.

So there you have it. Thanks for reading if you've made this far, and apologies for the long post. I would very much appreciate your opinions, experiences, pro and cons, etc.

Andreas

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow