EM1 doesn't focus well on horizontal lines.

Started Oct 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?
EM1 doesn't focus well on horizontal lines.
Oct 20, 2013

I went out shooting today and I'm afraid I confirmed something I'd noticed previously.

When used with normal 4/3 lenses (obviously in PDAF mode), it can have a REALLY hard time getting a focus lock on horizontal lines (you know ... things like a horizon!). When I say really hard time, I mean often it simply will NOT, EVER get a lock, even though you know that most other cameras would be able nail this first time, every time.

If you rotate the camera 90 deg (into portrait orientation), the EM1 also nails it straight away. I imagine its an issue with lack of cross type sensors? (can anyone confirm this is the case with this camera?)

This also seemed to manifest itself in an inability to get a focus lock on other random things that I would have expected to work ok. Taking an educated guess at what constitutes an adequate patch of contrasty 'stuff' works with other cameras, not so with the EM1. Not with reliability anyway. Sometimes it works, but other times you also expect no issues ... it fails. Bizarre.

Note - this is ONLY with legacy 4/3 lenses via the adapter. I couldn't get this issue to happen in exactly the same situations when I switched to a native MFT lens. Camera worked fine then (which is why I'm posting it here and not over on the MFT forum)

It would be good if other people could confirm this or not. Easy to do, try to focus on something fairly high contrast like the top of a door frame, a house roof line in the distance, a straight horizon etc - something that's only got a horizontal edge. Then just rotate the camera 90 deg and try again.

G.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KurtNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow