What will happen to Olympus now??

Started Oct 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,884
Like?
Re: What will happen to Olympus now??
In reply to ioshadha, Oct 20, 2013

ioshadha wrote:

My main point though was from a price point of view... I like everything about E-M1 but why invest on a m4/3 when you can get your hands on a FF for the same cost?

In my opinion no matter how good the E-M1 is, E-M1 won't be able to compete with a FF went it comes to IQ. Again like you point out unless you pixel peek no one will really be able to see the difference straight away. Saying that I anticipate A7 will do a better job in low light conditions compare to m4/3 and this will be kinda obvious on most photos.

Again, m4/3 will do fine but will E-M1 do well after A7 release is the question - from a price point of view.

-- hide signature --

Olympus XZ-1 and working my way up!

It's not just about price. I answered your questions, but apparently either you didn't read what I posted, or don't grasp it.

The lenses for the A7 will be substantially bigger than m4/3 lenses. So what if a body is compact if the kit is still larger and heavy than a person wants?

The IQ advantage of FF only really shows up at extreme ISOs, when pixel peeped, or when high degrees of cropping or other PP are involved. For the majority of people, given the typical way photos are displayed, there is little practical advantage of FF.

There are a lot of features on the EM1 which the A7 lacks, features which working photographers such as myself and others consider important enough to not be swayed by the possible advantages of the A7 sensor.

Much of what I have read indicates that the EM1, or most other m4/3 cameras will focus better in low light than the A7 unless some major improvements have been made over the NEX focusing system.

Sure, some will eschew the EM1 in favor of the A7. Some will even have genuine reasons for doing so. However, many of those who do will really do no better, as far as their images are concerned, with FF over m4/3 because frankly, they don't do much better with m4/3 over a superzoom or P&S. Yet, people will think that FF will make their photos better than m4/3 or APS-C, the marketing people know this, so the camera will sell to a number of people who are convinced they need FF. Then, they will continue to take mediocre photos of their cats, kids, sunsets and gardens. Said photos will have more detail and less noise when they pixel peep them, of course, so they will be "better" in the opinion of many.

Personally I'm waiting to see the stats, pricing and results from the Zeiss 24-70 and 70-200 that are planned. Those lenses would be why I would buy the A7 as much as the sensor size. I would likely not replace any m4/3 gear with it, so much as use it for situations where I know FF will be enough of an advantage in IQ to warrant the extra size and weight of the lenses.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow