dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,984Gear list
Re: Jumping ship?
In reply to Dheorl, 9 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

larsbc wrote:

marike6 wrote:

$1400 buys a lot of good primes and a decent large sensor camera. YMMV.

I don't have any interest in the RX10 *but* I gotta say, it's a decent value proposition. For $1400, what decent large sensor camera (with an EVF) can you buy, and still have money left over for good primes that come close to covering the focal range of the RX10?

Here's what I bought:

E-PL5 plus VF-2 $450

14mm f2.5 $140

20mm f1.7 $300

40-150mm $140

Legacy 50mm f1.7 Konica $20

Legacy 200mm f3.5 Vivitar $30

Adapters: $20

Total cost: $1090 mix of new and mint condition used gear,

I would contend that my system is better in every way except for 28mm equivalent at the wide end.

For you maybe. For me it is lacking any kind of sealing, is slower at the long end where i find it more important (both in real terms and in equivalance) I imagine isn't as good ergonomically (obviously I can't tell this for chain having not handled the RX10 but I normally don't get on well with interchangeable lens soap bar shaped cameras).

On top of all that I can't imagine as a kit it is much, if any lighter, and takes up much more space, a big factor for me considering the amount of outdoor pursuits I like to do. Yes you can drop down to just one prime but then you have 1/200th of the focal range of the RX10 and perspective is something I like to be able to manipulate in my images.

Oh yea, and no 1080p60, or mic socket, or headphone socket, or focus peaking or... I'm sure you get the idea.

Now I'm not saying all (or any) of this matters to you, just pointing out its wrong to claim in absolute terms that your kit is better than a RX10.

Actually, it's NOT slower at the long end.  A 50mm f1.7 legacy lens is effectively a 100mm f1.7 lens on M4/3.  A 200mm f3.5 is effectively twice as long and effectively faster,

And the reason that my kit is lighter is that I only take with me the stuff I will use on a given shooting occasion.  What I most often carry with me is 1 or 2 pancake lenses, a tiny light tele zoom, and a 50mm f1.7.  That kit actually still is lighter than an RX10.

Yes it's not weather sealed - because I don't care for it to be.  If I wanted weather sealed, I'd have paid $200 more for an OM-D EM-5, but I don't value it.  But if I DID value it, I easily could have bought weather sealed instead, for just a bit more.

I also don't need nor care about any video features, and I have no problem focusing my manual lenses without focus peaking.  If I wanted those features, I could also have bought them in Micro 4/3.

The idea I get is that I bought a far more flexible, powerful system, with higher IQ, for less money, in M4/3.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow