Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,521Gear list
Re: Jumping ship?
In reply to larsbc, 6 months ago

larsbc wrote:

marike6 wrote:

$1400 buys a lot of good primes and a decent large sensor camera. YMMV.

I don't have any interest in the RX10 *but* I gotta say, it's a decent value proposition. For $1400, what decent large sensor camera (with an EVF) can you buy, and still have money left over for good primes that come close to covering the focal range of the RX10?

Here's what I bought:

E-PL5 plus VF-2 $450

14mm f2.5 $140

20mm f1.7 $300

40-150mm $140

Legacy 50mm f1.7 Konica $20

Legacy 200mm f3.5 Vivitar $30

Adapters: $20

Total cost: $1090 mix of new and mint condition used gear,

I would contend that my system is better in every way except for 28mm equivalent at the wide end. BTW, I addressed that with a 7-14mm lens that cost me a bit over $700, but gives me superb super-wide capability that is important to me and which I can't get in any possible way with an RX10. And that's the problem with a fixed lens camera. I also have 400mm equivalent at the long end (300mm using new AF gear) - With an interchangeable lens camera, I have faster, wider, and longer capability than I could get with an RX10. And when I want to pack light, I take my camera with just one of the pancake primes and a legacy 50mm f1.7 lens, and that light kit weighs much less than an RX10.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +9 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow