What will happen to Olympus now??

Started Oct 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ioshadha
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Re: What will happen to Olympus now??
In reply to CharlesB58, Oct 20, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

With the release of Sony A7 and A7r and from a price point of view I'm wondering what sort of market will there be for Olympus micro fur-thirds - Specially the new OM-D E-M1. For the price of E-M1 you can easily get a A7 at lease within 100 bucks difference.

For me investing on a Full-frame make more sense long term... I know micro four-thirds have a better lens line up and is more established but hey, if I consider buying a E-M1 today why not just invest the money for a Full frame? or am I missing something here?

E-M1 having axis image stabilizer is the only plus against Sony A7. Even from a size point of view both are about the same.

What will happen to Olympus now? Any thought ? What would you pick if you were on the market today? What's the mirror-less camera you'll go for?

Cheers !!

-- hide signature --

Olympus XZ-1 and working my way up!

Perhaps the A7 makes more sense to you because you are only thinking of the sensor relative to the camera body size. The lenses will still be much larger. Since the practical difference in IQ between FF and the latest m4/3 sensors only shows up at extremely high ISOs or under pixel peeping scrutiny, it could be argued by some that the only advantage of the A7 is shallower depth of field at a given aperture. (There are some other factors but most non-pro FF fans I've encountered aren't even aware of them.)

Unless the af on the A7 has improved markedly over the NEX series, few sports, wildlife, concert or photojournalism photographers will rush to buy one. Right now it will probably be an excellent camera for many people, especially if the Zeiss lenses measure up to that company's standard. But it will not endanger m4/3 much more than the D600 and 6D endangered aps-c dslrs.

Olympus will do just fine with m4/3 because it's a relatively small segment of buyers who are fixated on FF as the main criteria for buying a camera.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

My main point though was from a price point of view... I like everything about E-M1 but why invest on a m4/3 when you can get your hands on a FF for the same cost?

In my opinion no matter how good the E-M1 is, E-M1 won't be able to compete with a FF went it comes to IQ. Again like you point out unless you pixel peek no one will really be able to see the difference straight away. Saying that I anticipate A7 will do a better job in low light conditions compare to m4/3 and this will be kinda obvious on most photos.

Again, m4/3 will do fine but will E-M1 do well after A7 release is the question - from a price point of view.

-- hide signature --

Olympus XZ-1 and working my way up!

ioshadha's gear list:ioshadha's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow