Started May 31, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trog
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Layer compositing to increase DoF?
May 31, 2003

I am considering getting a digital camera, and one of the things I'd like to do with it is shoot macro close-ups with a lot of depth of field. For this, the smaller array of the digicams would seem to be well suited, and I know stopping down will help, but I'd like to push it a bit further.

My macro subjects will be still-life under controlled conditions, so it seems like it should be possible to shoot a series of shots with shifting, overlapping zones of sharp focus without moving the camera, and then use layers and masking to combine only the sharp bits from each image. I think I know how that could be done, but all I have at the moment is a theory.

I tried using the search feature to see if this is a well-covered topic, but I couldn't think of any really unique search words to describe this, so I either got a lot of irrelevant results, or no results when I used lots of search words. If someone happens to know of a thread that has already covered this, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

If this has not been covered, does anyone happen to know of a series of photos somewhere that I could experiment with? I just need a series taken of a macro scene, from a fixed camera position, with a progressively shifting zone of focus, preferably with a bit of overlap. It would be a better test if the camera is "in" a complex scene rather than shooting from above down onto a flat scene--but that isn't necessary. Any scene that has something to focus on in each focal zone should do. I don't think they would need to be especially high resolution images for the test (640 X 480 or more should work), and they wouldn't have to be in color, but the less noise in the images, the better. If someone knows of such a series, I'd be grateful for a heads-up on that as well.

Thanks,
Trog

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow