Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
RX10 Sample images
In reply to jim stirling, 11 months ago

jim stirling wrote:

marike6 wrote:

So judging by these recent threads, half the m43 are jumping ship for the RX10 and half are jumping ship for the A7.

Is this the end of m43? Kind of sad for all those nice m43 primes going to waste for the shiny Sony cameras. But judging by all these answers in this thread, m43 is even overkill. People just want snaps and convenience. So all the small size vs DSLR arguments I've had were really BS. It's not small size, or low weight but convenience with sort of decent IQ up to ISO 800. At least now I understand.

The whole rationale behind mFt is a smaller lighter more convenient to carry system with decent image quality. If you are looking for the best resolution, or the best high ISO ,or the best DR or the best colour depth , mFT wouldn't be at the races .

Yes, but the argument for m43, especially with the advent of the EM5 and GH3 16 mp class of cameras, has always been IQ is not far off from the APS-C DSLRs with bodies and lenses significantly smaller. The RX10 at close to 2 lbs (816 g) hardly qualifies as smaller or lighter, does it? And you are giving up a heck of a lot of low-light ability vs m43 and APS-C (See the sample JPEGs below), and all of the m43 lenses that you've worked so hard for do not mount. Apart from being an all in one design how is such a camera convenient?

All camera systems are sacrifices with mFt compared to larger formats you sacrifice absolute image quality for small and convenient , perhaps you have not noticed the thousands of posts here that mention exactly that .For very many uses mFt is overkill each to their own

But again the RX10 is neither small or lightweight. And DOF control is not great and it's super pricey.

And as you can see by these sample images below, it's noisy as early as ISO 800!!! I just bought a new Fujifilm X-E1 kit. Even as a mostly RAW shooter, if I had downloaded JPEGs of this quality (see below) there is no way I would have purchased it, it's that simple.

So the RX10 whose main attraction, as you claim, is convenience, is likely a RAW-only camera because mushy Sony's JPEG engine? You be the judge. Have a look at the images from PhotographyBlog below.

Note: Embedding the full-sized RX10 images below was forbidden, but click on link to view. Make sure you look at 100%.

RX10, ISO 800

http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx10/photos/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx10_19.jpg

RX10, ISO 640

http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx10/photos/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx10_22.jpg

RX10, ISO 80

http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx10/photos/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx10_24.jpg

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow