Overall best digital compact for concert photography

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
Underexpose. A lot.
In reply to David Pastern, Oct 20, 2013

I do a lot of concert shooting. I shoot raw, and underexpose by anywhere from -1.5 to -3 EV. Since the overall scene is dark (unless you are outdoors in daylight), a normal exposure setting will blow out your subject (musicians, instruments, lights, etc) and needlessly lighten the darkest parts of the background. With a low EV, your subject will at least be in the range where you can mess with the exposure in PP, by pumping it overall but lowering the blacks (no need to see all the noise there anyway, right?). By shooting raw, you ought to have sufficient DR to work with.

I also shoot mostly wide open, depending on my lens that means f/2.8 all the way to f/1.4. It takes some patience to get the hang of the narrow DoF, but it is worth it because you get a faster speed and/or lower ISO. Obviously, with a compact you might not have that as an option.

Finally, some kind of stabilization is almost a requirement. Make sure it is turned "on"

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow