Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users Locked

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338Gear list
Re: And it will face the same Questions......
In reply to marike6, 11 months ago

marike6 wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

marike6 wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

marike6 wrote:

I have no problem with the Sony RX10 (other than the price which seems high for a bridge camera). The point is was trying to make is: why should an almost 2 lb camera (heavier than virtually every APS-C / m43 mirrorless, and most mid-range DSLRs) be of interest to m43 users?

It's because this camera has just opened up a new point on the sensor size / capability spectrum, and that point is directly adjacent to M43. Before the 1" sensor cameras were introduced, there was a huge gap between M43 and "compact" cameras. Now the 1" sensors provide a new choice for those who don't quite need the capabilities of the M43 system but who aren't satisfied with small-sensor compacts.

Just as M43 users have decided they don't need FF or APS-C capabilities, some of the people who choose the RX10 will do so because they decide they don't need M43 capabilities. And of all the 1" sensor cameras out there, this one has the greatest focal length range while having a lens fast enough to distinguish it from its smaller-sensored compatriots - and it has a lot of features such as (presumably) good video, weather sealing, etc. which may have attracted people to M43. Yes it's large and heavy, but not really any more so than carrying around an M43 body and two zoom lenses or even an M43 body and the 14-140.

Like it or not, for a certain slice of the market this is an M43 competitor. I've been waiting for the right M43 camera to show up for quite a long time, and I'm now considering the RX10 instead. I can't be the only one out there thinking this way.

For a smaller sensor, and the IQ sacrifice that entails (admittedly minor) why isn't it smaller? This camera is bigger than just about ANY M43 camera other than the GH3.\

It's bigger, it's heavier and more expensive than even almost ALL m43 cameras w/ kits.

And almost all m43 cameras with kits have less range and over most of that range less control over DoF.

But very few if any serious m43 photographers stick with the kit lenses but opt for the optically better, and more interesting large aperture primes like the 12 f/2, 20 f/1.7, 25 f/1.4, 45 f/1.8, not to mention the few large aperture zooms.

In which case the resulting kit is bigger than the RX10, especially if you want to cover anything like the same range. Pick one argument or the other because you can't have it both ways.

I have no problem with 1", I've owned both the RX100 and Nikon V1, both excellent cameras. But the RX100 is great for scenics, not selective focus type images. The Nikon V1 absolutely need fast, large aperture lenses to be interesting. Otherwise DOF is hideously deep.

If you can't make interesting images without resorting to gimmicks such as shallow DoF I think that says more about you than it does the cameras you use.

Shallow DOF is not a gimmick. Selective focus something that distinguishes large sensor cameras from bland smart phone and compact snap shots. But yes if you just want to record some scenics or family events and don't care about DOF control, by all means don't shoot m43, APS-C or FF.

So you think a photo which has deep DOF is automatically bland. Dear me there really is just no helping some people. I'm sure Ansel Adams would turn in his grave if he heard that.

Also I've got perfectly nice separation at the long end of a kit lens with m43. The RX10 is capable of narrower DoF than that.

So no 1" cameras are NOT a strict 1 to 1 competitor with m43. I find it hard to believe that m43 users think so little of their chosen format to think camera with a small 1" sensor camera replace it for a little bridge camera convenience.

I thought the point of m43 was SMALL with DLSR IQ. DSLR quality not just based on a DxOMark sensor rating number, or an arbitrary DR or color depth number, but true shallow DOF, selective focus type images that only larger sensor with fast max aperture lenses cameras are capable of.

The point of m43 is to have another point on the scale of IQ vs size and convenience, the RX10 just adds another point on this scale.

The RX10 is as large, heavy and expensive as most DSLRs. Not sure what point it adds on any scale or how it relates to m43 at all. m43 is about small size, low weight cameras with DSLR level IQ in all kinds of natural light situations.

Because to get equivalent range with a DSLR of similar specifications requires a bigger kit. I'm sure the RX10 will be able to get DSLR quality in many natural light situations and will be a smaller size than many m43 cameras trying to accomplish the same. Also that might be what m43 is to you but that doesn't mean that's all its good for. I like it just as much for the fact it has DSLR style bodies with an electronic viewfinder and great ergonomics.

Sorry, but a 24-200 f8 DOF equivalent camera sounds OK. But tell me it's the same price as a Fujifilm X-E2 / 18-55 f/2.8-4 kit, or D7100 kit and I'll try not to laugh, I promise.

Is DoF really all you think about? It has so much going for it over either of those cameras that I think the price is justified.

No DOF is not everything nor is price. But I have no interest in a $1400 Sony bridge camera that's less versatile, has worse IQ, and cannot mount any lenses below 24mm or above 200mm. But photography is a very personal thing, and everybody has different needs. If you want the camera, buy it. I see little need for m43 users to be interested in such a camera when a EM-5, GH3 or EM-1 will provide better IQ, and access to a ton of primes and zooms.

I'm a m43 user and I'm interested in it as are seemingly many other people. If it doesn't interest you then why are you even bothering to discuss it? Do you feel you're doing us some sort of service telling us our photos will immediately start to suck if we buy one because trust me, you're not.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow