Why is the SLT-A58 so cheap, any obvious reasons?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
Re: Why is the SLT-A58 so cheap, any obvious reasons?
In reply to Draek, 11 months ago

So an outer plastic ring and a 2.7" LCD with 430K dots resolution make it entry level? Or the 5fps? I'd rather shoot at 5fps than deal with the slide show effect at 10fps.

Draek wrote:

Because it's an entry-level camera, and those things depreciate faster than you can say "new models! shiny!".

Same thing happened with the A390 and the A33, likewise with the A37, and the A35 seemingly avoided it purely because it was almost permanently out-of-stock (likely too few units imported by Sony, though, as I've yet to see one in the field). Even with other brands -- go take a look which prices a Nikon D3200, nevermind the D3100, goes for nowadays. I'm betting the same goes for Canon, but I got kinda lost in their numbering scheme after the 350D.

Hell, even in other market segments -- my EX1 was the first and likely last premium compact I buy, since these days Samsung is only steps away from giving away the cheaper NX kits with my cereal. In fact, it's kind of weird when I could get a NX1000 plus 18-55 kit lens plus 55-200 tele-zoom all for the price of a single Galaxy S4, with cash to spare.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow