Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users Locked

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Re: Why should the RX10 be interesting...
In reply to marike6, 11 months ago

"Tenuous" as in weak, the connection that the OP is trying to make between m43 and the RX10 because of the $1300 Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 is weak at best. He's saying that because the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 is an expensive lens, m43 users can run out an buy any equally expensive RX10 to cover 200mm, and use a m43 body with primes for the shorter focal lengths. I cannot think of a worse plan than that, not because I think the Sony RX10 is a bad camera or because of the price, but because it makes no sense to carry two totally unrelated bodies from two different manufactures. As I said, Panasonic is going to release a budget version of the 35-100 f/2.8, and Olympus will likely begin to release more fast zooms in the coming months. But it doesn't make much sense to buy into an expensive CSC system, and add another expensive camera with a smaller sensor to fill some perceived deficiency in lenses.

I've seen quite a few people, pros included, carrying two completely unrelated cameras. One popular combination seems to be a FF DSLR with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens on it along with a fixed lens compact, often a x100. I'm not saying that m43 and the RX10 would be the best combination seeing as your right, you could just carry an extra lens and even second body for the same weight. I would consider a RX10 combined with an RX1 as a pretty good combination though.

M43 and a true super zoom does appear to be quite a popular combination as well, I've once or twice debated doing it the other way round so to speak and having a m43 with 35-100mm fitted with a LX7 in my pocket.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow