Question About X-Trans Detail

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail
In reply to DMillier, Oct 19, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me, not sure why you are dismissing it. The cameras use the same sensor, the detail should be the same. If they are not, then there has to be a reason.

The question the OP is asking is: is the reason the xtrans CFA?

If it is the reason, then clearly the xtrans approach is not doing what it is advertised as doing, producing crisper, sharper pictures by allowing the safe omission of the AA filter. And if this is the case, Fuji would better serve their customers by using conventional Bayer array (or solving the problem). I don't think this is an issue to dismiss. .

If on the other hand, it is not the CFA but something else, workflow, shutter slap, mis-focusing or whatever, then the OP would probably appreciate being guided to a solution.

-- hide signature --

The reason is the processing. Many here, including myself, have shown that the X-Trans sensor produces a great amount of detail when processed using certain methods. But if you aren't using that work flow, and the NEX line of cameras produces more details for you, then by all means use the NEX line. The beauty is that we have choices.

Does the X-Trans produce more detail than bayer? Nope. Why would it? It's the same resolution. The only advantage the X-Trans has is that it's CFA allows for a lack of AA *and* minimal moire patterns. Take the AA off of a regular 16mp bayer, and it'll likely produce the same detail (under optimal processing) as the X-Trans, but might show a little more moire under certain conditions.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow