Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users Locked

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,197Gear list
Re: Why should the RX10 be interesting...
In reply to marike6, Oct 19, 2013

marike6 wrote:

"Tenuous" as in weak, the connection that the OP is trying to make between m43 and the RX10 because of the $1300 Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 is weak at best. He's saying that because the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 is an expensive lens, m43 users can run out an buy any equally expensive RX10 to cover 200mm, and use a m43 body with primes for the shorter focal lengths. I cannot think of a worse plan than that, not because I think the Sony RX10 is a bad camera or because of the price, but because it makes no sense to carry two totally unrelated bodies from two different manufactures. As I said, Panasonic is going to release a budget version of the 35-100 f/2.8, and Olympus will likely begin to release more fast zooms in the coming months. But it doesn't make much sense to buy into an expensive CSC system, and add another expensive camera with a smaller sensor to fill some perceived deficiency in lenses.

The budget version of a 35-100mm F2.8 will most definitely not be an F2.8 lens If they follow typical traditional focal lengths if it came it would be most likely an F4 lens  ay the wide end and slower at the long end .which would make it slower than the RX10 while not covering its full range.

The point is that for many people you wouldn't be carrying every bit of gear you own with you at all times.For many probably even most situations the RX10 with its 24-200mm F2.8 lens will cover all you need.

You mentioned that you also have FF gear as do I but I would never carry both at the same time as they are used for different purposes .This is not like the best FF vs the best  mFT, mFT simply doesn't have a big enough advantage over the the Sony RX sensor { same DR/same colour depth and only 0.7 of a stop better high ISO.

Its nice to have too much choice it would be nicer to have too much money , alas I don't so it is just a matter of juggling what suits yourself best :-). For me the RX10 would be to my mFT gear what my mFT gear is to my FF gear .A  one camera solution when the image quality from the RX10 is good enough which I believe will be quite often

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +13 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow