Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users Locked

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Re: Why should the RX10 be interesting...
In reply to Dheorl, 11 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Why should the RX10 be interesting to specifically to m43 users (or interesting at all)?

• It has a fixed lens 24-200 f/7.6 FF equivalent in DOF (not at all equivalent to the 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 m43 lenses as the OP implies. Deep DOF, flat images. Kind of like shooting with a 14-42 kit on m43. Worse actually.

I've got some very nice 3D looking images with my kits lens, and actually the RX10 gives better isolation as soon as you start to zoom in a bit.

• It's not at all "Micro", in fact it's larger than the Panasonic G6, and close to double the weight (more on size and weight later)

It's also weather sealed and judging from that and materials also has a better build quality. Also have fun using that G6 without a lens.

• It is more expensive than any m43 camera except the EM-1

You really do like the thought of using a camera without a lens don't you.

• Not a m43 system camera, so all your m43 flashes, lenses, remote releases are useless with it, and vice versa.

Which is why I bought 3rd party flashes and am planning on selling my m43 lenses along with the camera. Remote release I'll just do via wifi on my smartphone as I do with my GH3.

• Price of $1300 is the price of the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8, a lens that will work with ALL your m43 current and future m43 cameras (a far better investment long term, and quicker way to improve your images than messing around with a pricey bridge camera).

I would have thought going out and taking pictures would give the biggest improvement to your images, and guess what, it's free.

• Weight - the RX10 weighs 813 g (1.76 lbs) almost as much as my D800, but without the IQ or the ability mount a proper 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8 lens (or any other lens). The RX10's weight is also approaching double the weight of an APS-C DSLR like the D5300, again without the IQ, low-light / high ISO ability, and no option to mount large aperture primes or long telephoto lenses. For years people here have been talking about "boat anchor DSLRs", now all of the sudden the OP is making the case for an extremely expensive "fixed lens boat anchor", but with kind of uninteresting DOF control?

Still decided to not use any lenses with your cameras?

• I've own the RX100 and it's an excellent compact but part of what makes it great is its small size. But even with the RX100's f/1.8 max aperture you need to be quite close to your subject to get good subject/background separation. Same with the 18.5 f/1.8 lens on the Nikon V1. With the 2.7X crop factor of the 1" sensor, even a large aperture f/1.8 lens (the DOF equivalent of f/4.9 in FF terms) is not all that thrilling. An f2.8 lens on a 1" sensor camera is not something that would make me rush to pre-order, but I suppose everybody has different needs.

If your obsessed with not being able to determine what is in the background of your image then yes, the RX10 isn't for you. I don't like completely annihilating backgrounds though so the amount of subject isolation it gives will do me just fine.

• Larger than the Panasonic G6 (See link below for a size comparison).

Panasonic G6 vs Sony RX10 size comparison

Price aside I can sort of see how some might be interested the RX10, but I have no idea how it relates at all to m43 (the 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 analogy is tenuous at best).

I bought a GH3 and the two "pro" zooms because it was the smallest package that gave me weather sealed 24-200mm equivalent with what is to me acceptable iq and subject isolation. The RX10 now gives what I still consider to be acceptable iq and subject isolation in a smaller package without even having to change lenses. I'm happily swapping and although i know everyone is different it would surprise me if i was completely unique in that regard.

I have no problem with the Sony RX10 (other than the price which seems high for a bridge camera).  The point is was trying to make is: why should an almost 2 lb camera (heavier than virtually every APS-C / m43 mirrorless, and most mid-range DSLRs) be of interest to m43 users? Most m43 prioritize small size and portability.  And most m43 have chosen a CSC because of the versatility it offers.

A camera that in no way fits the m43 concept of small bodies and lenses,  does not provide the same high level of IQ especially in low-light, and does not offer any connection whatsoever to the m43 system of lenses, flashes and accessories probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  It may be a good camera, but it has nothing to do with m43.

The RX10 has no more relation to m43 that it does to the Fujifilm X system or a Nikon DSLR system .  The OPs post is stretch based on an extremely tenuous connection with the 2 Panasonic f/2.8 lenses and the RX10.  If m43 users can't afford the Pansonic f2.8 zooms, there will be budget versions released later this year or early next.  But to rush out and buy a $1300 bridge camera to cover the focal lengths out to 200mm doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMHO.  But as I said (a point you may have missed) everybody has different needs, different budgets, and differing ideas on the best way to build a camera system.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow