Olympus Stylus1 24-300mm 1/1.7" sensor

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,190Gear list
Like?
One can only hope that...
In reply to SHood, 11 months ago

Olympus gets it right this time.  Having a miniature OMD look-alike may be a tall order.  After all, will be of a quality construction (i.e. magnesium body, very solid feel, metal knobs - as opposed to plastic - and an excellent lens system).  Will it have very fast and accurate AF and will it have excellent IQ characteristics (not having the smeary effects on the edges that Olympus super zoom models usually had in the past)?  These are all "if's" that should be asked.

Right now, it's obvious that the Sony RX10 has set the tone.  Of course, no one has seen the IQ capabilities of that camera, but I would imagine that high ISO scenarios will be superb with that model.  But damnnnnnnnn - $1299 USD is quite a bit of change from "just" a 24-200 model.  So I'm betting that within 6 months or so, the price will come down.

I held off getting the XZ-2 because I was very satisfied with the XZ-1.  But if this new Stylus 1 doesn't come looking like a cheap toy imitation of the OMD, and if it has superb IQ characteristics and greatly improved speed, it may very well be a great seller.

But in the end, as I've often mentioned, Olympus doesn't always listen to it's users - at least not when it comes to small P&S digicams.  I am hoping this Stylus 1 winds up be a head turner in more ways than one.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow