Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jay coffsky
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
How often do you really need a prime as an amateur
Oct 19, 2013

I would not debate that for the most part one can use the metrics often display (i dont understand them) that primes are sharper at the same settings then zoom lens. When ever I go to a social event with professional photographers I always see what they are using. Unless there is a fixed distance backdrop station for people to pose, about 90% of the time they have a zoom. Occasionally a 2nd body or 2nd photographer.

I have some great primes which almost never get used. They are not versatile enough for my grandkid sports or social (weddings etc) events. It's nerdy enough to run around as the only one there with heavy camera much less a bag of heavy lens. Yes there are times I would love to have one of my primes for a special pose etc. Even when photos are displayed on this forum showing primes better then equivalent zoom, you have to study picture for minutes usually to see any difference.

Yes, I read how so many people use only primes etc. I just dont see it for the great majority of people taking pics. Let's face it, most pics are taken now on iPhone or equivalents.

The companies keep coming up with great primes like the new nikon 58mm an the semi new sigma 35mm 1.4.

Yes, when on a cruise and they take a pic of you with a backdrop, even then they are usually using a zoom. I wonder how many would miss there zooms vs. their primes if one were taken away. No question the primes have for the most part faster lens and at museums etc. cant use a flash but other then those special needs (low light, no flash situations) I bet zooms would be missed many more times. What do you think.

Not intending to insult anyone, just adding to the fun and information of this great forum.

-- hide signature --

jay coffsky

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow