Sony RX10 is interesting for m4/3 users Locked

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Why should the RX10 be interesting...
In reply to Henry Richardson, Oct 19, 2013

Why should the RX10 be interesting to specifically to m43 users (or interesting at all)?

• It has a fixed lens 24-200 f/7.6 FF equivalent in DOF (not at all equivalent to the 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 m43 lenses as the OP implies. Deep DOF, flat images. Kind of like shooting with a 14-42 kit on m43. Worse actually.
  • It's not at all "Micro", in fact it's larger than the Panasonic G6, and close to double the weight (more on size and weight later)
  • It is more expensive than any m43 camera except the EM-1
  • Not a m43 system camera, so all your m43 flashes, lenses, remote releases are useless with it, and vice versa.
  • Price of $1300 is the price of the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8, a lens that will work with ALL your m43 current and future m43 cameras (a far better investment long term, and quicker way to improve your images than messing around with a pricey bridge camera).
  • Weight - the RX10 weighs 813 g (1.76 lbs) almost as much as my D800, but without the IQ or the ability mount a proper 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8 lens (or any other lens). The RX10's weight is also approaching double the weight of an APS-C DSLR like the D5300, again without the IQ, low-light / high ISO ability, and no option to mount large aperture primes or long telephoto lenses. For years people here have been talking about "boat anchor DSLRs", now all of the sudden the OP is making the case for an extremely expensive "fixed lens boat anchor", but with kind of uninteresting DOF control?
  • I've own the RX100 and it's an excellent compact but part of what makes it great is its small size. But even with the RX100's f/1.8 max aperture you need to be quite close to your subject to get good subject/background separation. Same with the 18.5 f/1.8 lens on the Nikon V1. With the 2.7X crop factor of the 1" sensor, even a large aperture f/1.8 lens (the DOF equivalent of f/4.9 in FF terms) is not all that thrilling. An f2.8 lens on a 1" sensor camera is not something that would make me rush to pre-order, but I suppose everybody has different needs.
  • Larger than the Panasonic G6 (See link below for a size comparison).  

Panasonic G6 vs Sony RX10 size comparison

Price aside I can sort of see how some might be interested the RX10, but I have no idea how it relates at all to m43 (the 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 analogy is tenuous at best).

Cheers and happy shooting everybody, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow