Why is the SLT-A58 so cheap, any obvious reasons?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
DaPonti
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the SLT-A58 so cheap, any obvious reasons?
In reply to Oleg L K, 9 months ago

Oleg L K wrote:

It' a damn play between camera and lens tolerances. And maybe too much priority put into AF speed at the expense of accuracy.

E.g. body-A may work with lens-X but fail with lens-Y, while body-B will work with lens-Y. It is possible to make one given camera + lens combo work together; this is what Sony (Canon/Nikon) service usually offers to do. But this may make things worse for other cameras and lenses, so I'd not go this route.

That is a bit counter intuitive for me. I would expect that if lens X works on body A and B and lens Y doesn't work on A, then it wouldn't work better on B. Well, as you say I won't take the risk to mess up the AF of my other lenses (on which I need it) for a lens I barely ever use, and on which I can accept to rely on MF.

I'll try it on other bodies in a shop though. If it has focus issues on other cameras, then I should be able to get Sony to adjust it without messing with my camera.

My brother used to shoot with a Pentax; his internet research revealed that in Pentax land focus errors were much more rare - their cameras work harder (and slower) to achieve focus - make another hunting step or so.

Considering focus peaking analyses the contrast, is there any technical limitation that prevents Sony from adding a CDAF option on their SLTs? It'd be great to be able to chose between the two depending on the situation.

The best thing for us is to boycott problematic products. It doesn't sound nice, but I'm already stuck with two A100 bodies with focus errors; I cannot even sell them without lying to a buyer. So enough is enough.

I assume in a few years all cameras will be mirrorless with on-sensor AF and we won't have to worry about it anymore (except bad lenses), will we?

DaPonti's gear list:DaPonti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Pixelmator Chameleon
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow