Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark goob
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?
Micro FourThirds is Full-Frame.
11 months ago

This is an on-topic post. This is about Micro FourThirds.

For those who shoot Micro FourThirds and have heard all this talk about "FF" or "full-frame" formats: the truth is that Micro FourThirds is a full-frame format.

Full-frame refers to a relationship between a camera and a lens. It is when the lens was designed to be used on the format of film or sensor that it's being used on.

For example if you put a lens made for a Micro FourThirds or FourThirds camera onto a Micro FourThirds camera, then that's a full-frame relationship. Since all the lenses made for the FourThirds and Micro FourThirds mounts are made for the 4/3" sensor size, therefore, the system is entirely full-frame.

You honestly can't say the same thing about any other system. For example even on the Sony E-Mount system, now there are two different sensor sizes: "APS-C" (which is actually smaller than APS-C film), and "35mm Full-Frame" (which is a proper use of the term full-frame in that the words "full-frame" are preceded by the name of the lens-type that the sensor of the camera is full-frame relative to). However if you put an E lens (instead of an FE lens) on a Sony A7, you'll have a crop-sensor camera, because the lens will crop the sensor. Same thing happens if you put a DX lens on a Nikon D800.

I'm a revolutionary fighting for the proper use of language in photography. I'm here to change the use of the term "full-frame" back to its original meaning. I'm not going to give up until everyone stops the madness of referring to only 135-format as "full-frame." I believe DPReview is largely responsible for this mess, and should make amends to truth, logic, and reality by changing their writers' official use of the term "full-frame" to properly reflect the realities of the current technology, so that consumers will not have the wool kept pulled over their eyes. I believe it's their journalistic responsibility to do so.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow