Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,713Gear list
Like?
my thoughts
In reply to brownie314, 11 months ago

i personally at this point am not interested.    I have a full frame Nikon setup.  I also have Fuji X and m43 setups.   To add one more system would be just hard $$$wise.   Now why would I need the A7...  the only reason would be for traveling.   However for travel I'd need a good zoom or several primes and the 28-70 looks huge, 24-70 is even larger and super expensive.  55 looks large too.  35/2.8 is the only somewhat compact lens and I am already reading in reviews 'little soft in corners wide open.'   seriously, 2.8 lens for $800 that is soft in the corners?   We are not talking about F/1.4 lens, it is a 2.8, how easy it is to make a 2.8 prime?  should cost $150 like Canon's 40/2.8 pancake.  And that is not pancake either by any stretch of imagination.

I guess one can get metabones adapter and adapt Canon L lenses and have (very slow) Autofocus, but these are large too.    The only interesting thing for me is whether NEX E cheaper primes like 35/1.8, 50/1.8, Sigmas 19 and 30/2.8 exhibit a lot of vignetting, or is it ok for some of them?   I am surprised nobody tried it yet.    I assume you get AF with all these emount NEX lenses, right?   I know with Nikon, some DX lenses can be easily use in FX mode with little or NO vignetting (in some cirrcumstances) such as 35/1.8G DX lens, 10-24 Nikon DX starting at around 16mm wide, etc.    I wonder what the situation is with these lenses designed for NEX.    They would have to be all tried one-by-one to see which one covers the full frame.   In the worst case scenario, these Nex e lenses can be used in crop mode on A7r with no vignetting at 15.9MP, meaning you are getting yourself a 16MP full frame small camera with smaller and cheaper lenses.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
VeryNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow