Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kwtraveller
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
E-M1 vs. A7 -- which should I get?
9 months ago

Hi all, I've been "lurking" here for a while and learned a lot from the discussions here. I am posting this question to both the M43 and Sony forum (if it's allowed), not to stir up a war, but really wanting to get some suggestions. I've read through many reviews and postings but am still feeling a bit confused.

I am currently using Panasonic G5 and enjoying it. However, I am planning to upgrade to either Olympus E-M1 or Sony A7 but have a super hard time deciding which one to get. I am not pro, don't do studio or commercial work, don't have legacy glasses (really just want native lenses sans adapters), and rarely do street photography. My main thing is landscape/flower/sometimes wildlife photography when hiking/traveling. I currently own a few m43 lenses: 14mm (rarely use and am planning to sell it), 25mm (use it sometimes, mostly indoors), the kit 14-42mm lens that comes with G5, and 45-150mm (occasionally use it).

So, even though it seems that I really should just go for e-m1 since I value light weight and am already in the m43 ecosystem, I must say I have always lusted after the stunning images made by a full frame camera (not super satisfied with the G5 IQ). The size and price of A7 pretty much solves the problem of "too heavy and too $$$". Since I don't plan to purchase a large number of lenses -- I really just need 4 lenses: the "normal" one, a medium tele, maybe a (super) wide-angle, and (at some point) a macro -- I think the fact that FF lenses are heavier than their m43 counterparts are prob. not a deal breaker.

So, anyone who is in a similar boat? Anything else to consider? Just to clarify, I am not considering a non-ILC. Thanks for any input!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow