Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,962Gear list
Like?
binoculars, microscopes?
In reply to Roger Wilmot, 10 months ago

Roger Wilmot wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

I can honestly say I have never met a left eyed shooter - camera or gun - I'm sure they exist but where are they?

We should meet

Amblyopia is estimated to affect a few % of the population, and if we assume there is no bias to the eye affected, then there say 2% of people who have to use their left eye. Of course those who would prefer to are a lot less apparent because the design of cameras,

More the right handed, but we'll let that one slide.

binoculars, microscopes etc favours the right-eyed

In what way? Binoculars are binoculars.

Microscopes are either binocular or monocular with a long thin objective tube that comfortably accommodates either eye, regardless of handedness.

so they adapt. Binoculars are easy - use a monocular. Manual wind film cameras were always a pain, as were bolt-action rifles. Motor winds and digital cameras are just a bit inconvenient, depending exactly what my nose presses against, and I haven't fired a gun for a long time.

If ambliopia affects 2% of the population, and eye bias is a 50/50 split, then only 1% of the population is challenged in a way that keeps them from using a right eyed camera. That falls outside a consumer electronics company's business model, and into the realm of assisstive technologies.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow