Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?
In reply to John Pennington, Oct 18, 2013

John Pennington wrote:

There seems to be quite a few cameras recently - Sony NEX 7, Fuji X-E1 that have their viewfinders on the left, which is great for right-eye shooters.

However, there are lots of people who are left-eye shooters, why are there no cameras with the viewfinder on the right?

Is it due to the shutter button traditionally having been in the right corner?

Well... yes. I'm a left-eye shooter to the point I get dizzy if I look through a viewfinder with my right eye for more than a minute or so, but the thought of handling a camera as you propose feels exceedingly displeasing.

Never had a problem shooting with a rangefinder, either, though of course there was no screen to smear with your nose back then. In fact, what I *did* find deeply unpleasant as well was shooting with a waist-level camera where the LCD was completely to the side; the horizontal distance between framing image and capturing lens was deeply annoying, so I think it's because I use my left eye to shoot that I could shoot with a rangefinder, rather than in spite of it.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow