Swapping EM1 for A7

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
tsammyc
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Re: Swapping EM1 for A7
In reply to Jorginho, 11 months ago

Jorginho wrote:

It came down to one thing. In 5 or 6 years, it's realistic to say that smart phones would rival the EM1 for quality. They already compete in resolution terms in good light, and they're likely to keep getting better. However, there's no way they can compete with the Sony...not for a long time.

If that is so, it will be less than two years before m43s hits FF cam performance. Not that I think this is going to happen and I also do not think a iPhone will get to m43 level in 6 years. But if you are right, the next serious Olympus body out there (E-M2) would be in FF territory.

I would not go back either btw, for the same reasons you give. Just make choice and be happy. If you look at Michael Reichmanns site you'll see that that very skilled and experienced shooter is raving about the a7r. So have fun!

I've found that my Sony RX100 1 inch sensor from 2012 is already about identical to most current 12MP M43 sensors so technology does catch up fast....

Probably in another year, the 1 inch sensors will catch up to the EM5 sensor, which would give EM5 quality to something I can slip in my shirt pocket and much smaller lenses that possibly retract into the body. Although I'm happy already with my RX100, I'm looking forward to pocketable P&S cameras reaching current EM5/EM1 quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow