Ricoh HZ 15

Started Oct 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,195
Like?
Re: Ricoh HZ 15
In reply to schaki, Oct 18, 2013

schaki wrote:

Except for the improved zoom-reach at both ends of the zoom I don't think this one is gonna be any better than the CX6. As far as I know most other specifications are below CX6 and there is no aperture mode or even Phase detection AF. Clearly a renamed Sanyo compact which in fact should have been named Pentax as it is definitely more like their super-zoom compacts rather than Ricoh if we look at other things like button-layout etc.

Hopefully it might at least have good image quality without too much smudging.

mjdundee wrote:

Runnicle wrote:

The original announcement did appear here back in late August. Camera was said to be "for Europe only" and set for release late last month, with pricing not yet set when news story appeared.

Thks - I obviousely have missed this. 'Europe only'?!

Very mysterious.

Maybe Ricoh in Japan which have a bigger market share there already knew that their fans there probably not would welcome it very well as it mostly seems to have worse specs and UI than the best CX-models from Ricoh and took the decision to release it in Europe only for some reason.

There has been opposite ways around in the past but less extreme such. Like the shock and waterproof Ricoh RDC-100G which probably not was sold outside Japen even though the newer RDC-200G and the follwing G-series cameras was sold in most regions.

There was also a rare all black Ricoh Caplio RR30 which I believe only was intended for Japan as well.

I still think it is scraping the bottom of the barrel for scraps to sell on various markets whilst some other project comes to fruition.

Someone has asked for a cheap camera for the Europe market and an existing design has been given a quick makeover, bought in and made to fill a slot and give some market presence to show that the Ricoh brand is still alive.  There gets to be a point where any product that can be found to be sold is a "good product".

For Ricoh watchers waiting for some news of more interesting cameras from Ricoh it is good news that Ricoh are at least selling "something" to keep the brand alive in the meantime.

My very rough guess is that Sony had some delivery problems and Ricoh is just another consequential victim.  By the looks of the Henrys sale and subsequent clearing of the GXR decks quite a while ago I might wonder if Ricoh was getting ready for releasing a new line but maybe supply holdups aced their planned schedule "good and proper".

Many complaints about the long gestation of the "FF NEX" aka A7, but Sony seems still to be rushing to market with most of their lens lineup largely still "promised" and body-only sales quite possible.  Unseemly haste?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow